Sunday, December 15, 2013

pretty

this one may be a little more for the ladies, but here's a little about how I upkeep my skin/beauty.


My skin is something I get commented on fairly regularly. It's even tone, it's soft texture. It's something I take pride in, and maintenance of it is something that is a daily ritual. When I was a small child my skin was so severely dry it would regularly crack and bleed. Medicated lotions and creams and oatmeal baths helped, but nothing really quelled the painful and irritating symptoms. Of course, when I hit puberty, and my skin got more oily, I leveled out, but I've always had a tomboy streak, so scars still marked my legs and arm from play.

As a girl who loves a mini-skirt, or cute dresses, and in general just is girly and likes to be beautiful, this was not a good thing. But the situation has since been rectified. The women of my family gave me some good advice. [I know there's an old saying that 'Black don't crack' and the women in my family do tend to age well, but just leaving it up to nature and hope isn't enough. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as they also say]

 My skin care regiment is rather simple; tons of water is what I drink. I'm a water-aholic. Of course staying well hydrated is fundamental, especially since I do live in Miami. Eating good fats, like those found in one of my favorite foods, avocado, also helps. When I step out of the shower, I rub my body with cocoa butter from head to toe as much as twice daily.  I like to stay well moisturized. I do also like regular manicures and pedicures.

My hair is a whole separate ordeal, maintaining beautiful natural curls is fun for me, but it is no joke, and deserves a blog post of it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment